Blockchain: Applications and Disruptive Opportunities
Acquire a Set of Lenses to Evaluate Blockchain-Based Solutions
You’ve heard about blockchain, and now you’re wondering: what does it mean for me?
Blockchain is a radical new technology with the potential to disrupt a wide range of businesses and industries. Although many organizations have begun to use it to bring efficiencies and cost savings to existing processes, current applications only scratches the surface of blockchain's true potential. Managers that fail to comprehend its full range of applications risk being left behind.
This one-day workshop conveys the core concepts, implications and opportunities of distributed trust technologies such as blockchain from a business (non-technical) perspective, and how they will disrupt your business and industry. Stay ahead of your competition by understanding this important technological transformation before it is too late.
- Gain a foundational, non-technical understanding of what blockchain is and how it works
- Acquire a set of lenses to critically evaluate blockchain-based solutions, cryptocurrencies, and other cryptoassets
- Assess the impact of blockchain on various businesses
- Gain insights into how blockchain could affect the future of your organization and industry
- Understand the short-term and longer-term opportunities and threats that blockchain technologies could present
- The fundamentals and potential applications of blockchain technology (non-technical)
- How blockchain enables distributed trust, and why this is important for individuals, organizations, industries and national economies
- The differences between public, open-source blockchains and permissioned, industrial blockchains
- Smart contracts and their applications
- Digital tokens, cryptocurrencies, and initial coin offerings (ICOs)
- Exposure to a broad range of use cases that illustrate the emerging and potential applications of blockchain technologies
- The long-term implications of distributed trust, and how organizations can plan for these today
- Workshop: analysis (in groups) of how blockchain could disrupt existing industries and business models
In the morning session, participants explore the functionalities, existing and emerging applications, and the advantages and limitations of blockchains across multiple domains. In the afternoon, participants break into small workgroups to analyze how blockchain technologies could disrupt a variety of business and industry settings, and the new applications and business models that could emerge.
Dr Chris Rowell
Chris is a lecturer in Organizational Behavior at the Sauder School of Business. His interests focus on new market and industry emergence, digital platform strategies, and strategy and organizing in distributed networks. He is currently following the emergence of the global blockchain field with an emphasis on North America, and has worked with multiple organizations to advance their blockchain strategies.