About the program
We are pleased to announce that the Blockchain Summer Institute will return to the in-person format in 2023 and registration will be open to the broad community just as before the pandemic! Besides, students from the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts will join us in Vancouver, adding international perspectives to the program! In addition, thanks to our collaboration with UBC Extended Learning, students will receive a UBC Blockchain Micro-Certificate (UBC Micro-certificate in Blockchain Innovation and Implementation | UBC Extended Learning (ExL) upon completing the program and paying applicable fees.
Leaders: The program will be led by Dr. Chang Lu from UBC and Dr. Tim Weingartner from the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and joint lectured by experts from leading Layer-1 protocols.
Date: July 10th to 23rd, 2023
Topic: Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies (DLTs)
Location: HEBB 114 https://learningspaces.ubc.ca/classrooms/hebb-114
About the course
The Blockchain Summer Institute 2023 aims to provide students from a variety of academic and industry backgrounds with advanced, specialized training in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies (DLTs). Upon the completion of the program, students will be equipped with a multidisciplinary perspective to understand blockchain and its key applications, including smart contracts, decentralized finance, decentralized identities and DAOs, and familiar with the characteristics of key protocols and emerging topics such as governance, business models and multi-chain interoperability.
The program consists of in-person lectures, seminar-style discussions, expert panels, and hands-on lab work involving individual and team-based design and coding. Students will have the opportunity to intimately interact with leading industry experts and network with others at various group events.
At the end of the program, students will apply their knowledge at the Blockathon by solving a real-world problem using blockchain. Students will work in teams and receive mentorship from course instructors and industry partners. The best teams will be introduced to Layer 1 protocol leaders to materialize their solutions.
This program is an elective course in the University of British Columbia’s Blockchain Graduate Pathway, a multidisciplinary NSERC CREATE-funded graduate training program in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies. The course registration code is ARST 575N or LIBR 559U (both courses are cross-listed and equivalent to one another)
The program this year is open to all interested students and community members, including students from UBC, SFU, Langara College, or other higher-education institutions, and working professionals who want to learn about blockchain.
Upper-undergraduate and graduate students at UBC can take the program for 3 credits by registering for ARST 575N or LIBR 559U. Graduate students from Simon Fraser University and University of Victoria can also take the program for credits via the Western Canadian Dean's Agreement. However, undergraduate students from UBC must receive department approval to register and take the course for credit. If undergraduate students cannot receive department approval to take ARST 575N or LIBR 559U, they can register for the summer institute without attempting to obtain course credits.
Instructions for Registration
- UBC Students enrolled in the Master of Archival Studies should register for ARST 575N through the student course registration portal. Students enrolled in the Master of Library and Information Science should register using the LIBR 559U course code. Dual MAS/MASLIS students may use either course code.
- UBC students from programs other than the MAS MLIS or MAS/MLIS (including undergraduate programs) must complete a Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Registration/ Change of Registration form, which must be signed off by the course instructor and approved by the Graduate Advisor for their program. For assistance, please contact the UBC School of Information's Graduate Program Assistant, Sandy Abah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition to registering via the student course registration portal, UBC students should also enroll via https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/ubcv/faculty-of-arts/ischool/ischool-workshops-seminars-conferences-taxable/programs/blockchain-summer-institute-2023-arst-575n-libr-559u-ubc-students, ensuring that you can access to the correct Canvas system.
- Any other registrants (including students from other universities, working professionals, and community members) should enroll via https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/ubcv/faculty-of-arts/ischool/ischool-workshops-seminars-conferences-taxable/programs/blockchain-summer-institute-2023-arst-575n-libr-559u-ubc-students
- For those who wish to receive the UBC Blockchain Micro-certificate after completing the summer institute, please pay $350 by clicking the link https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/ubcv/faculty-of-arts/ischool/ischool-workshops-seminars-conferences-taxable/courses/blockchain-summer-institute-2023-micro-certificate---arst-575nlibr-559u and using the registration code ES453L. Note that you must apply the registration code.
Students from the Lucerne University of Sciences and Arts
- Please register for the summer institute via https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/ubcv/faculty-of-arts/ischool/ischool-workshops-seminars-conferences-taxable/programs/blockchain-summer-institute-2023-arst-575n-libr-559u-lucerne-university-students.
- For those who wish to receive the UBC blockchain micro-certificate, please click the link https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/ubcv/faculty-of-arts/ischool/ischool-workshops-seminars-conferences-taxable/courses/blockchain-summer-institute-2023-micro-certificate---arst-575nlibr-559u, and use the registration code 2YW3JH.
To ensure that learners have equal access to the summer institute, we will live-stream the program via Zoom for registrants that have to attend remotely due to their geographic locations, despite that in-person participation is highly recommended.
Benefits of Micro-certificate
Those who purchase and receive the Micro-certificate will receive personalized coaching and advisory by Blockchain@UBC faculty members for their blockchain projects developed at the summer institute, as well as prioritized connections to Layer 1 protocols for funding and ecosystem support, such that they can materialize early-stage ideas into sustainable ventures.